Our school Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENco) is Suzanne Brown. To contact her please phone school or email the school office – stmarysswinton.rcprimaryschool@salford.gov.uk

Salford’s ‘Local Offer’ for children and young people with special educational needs and/or disabilities

If you have children with special educational needs and/or disabilities, have a look at the Local Authority Offer
You’ll find a huge range of information on things like health services, things to do, support and advice, travel and transport, getting involved and having your say and much more. Every council in the UK has a Local Offer to help you take more control over how your child’s needs are met, keep you informed and help you make the most of services and support in your area.

Teaching and Learning

What additional support can be provided in the classroom?

  • Teaching assistant support.
  • Small intervention groups for literacy and numeracy.
  • Dyslexia friendly classrooms, teaching and resources.
  • Literacy/Numeracy Help baskets containing resources and to promote “self-help” skills.
  • Working writing and number walls.
  • Differentiated planning, activities and resources.
  • Personalised teaching to pupils’ specific needs.

What provision do you offer to facilitate access to the curriculum and to develop independent learning? (This may include support from external agencies and equipment/facilities)

  • Advice from the Educational Psychologist.
  • Advice from CHAMs and Inclusive Learning Services.
  • Laptops.
  • Coloured overlays for students with dyslexic tendencies.
  • ELKLAN Trained TAs (for Speech and Language support)
  • Advice from occupational therapist.
  • Advice for Physiotherapist.
  • Advice from SALT (Speech and Language therapists)
  • Specialised scissors, pens, pencil grips and cutlery for pupils with fine motor skill difficulties.
  • Advice from hearing impairment team, teacher of the deaf.

What is yours staff specialisms/expertise around SEN or disability?

  • Experienced SENCO who has the NASENCO qualification.
  • Four members of staff have also experienced the role as SENCO.
  • Staff training has included: Dyslexia, ASD, ADHD, Epilepsy and Down’s Syndrome.
  • Staff trained in Phonics and Catch up Literacy.
  • Staff training in Catch up Numeracy and Numicon.
  • ELKLAN Trained TAs and SENCO (for Speech and Language support

What ongoing support and development is in place for staff regards supporting children and young people with SEN?

CPD training offered regularly on:

  • ADHD training
  • Dyslexia training
  • Behaviour modification programmes
  • Supporting EAL pupils in/out of the classroom
  • EMTAS support for specified EAL pupils
  • Epilepsy training.
  • Down’s Syndrome training.
  • SEN interventions: Toe By Toe, Power of 2, Overcoming Barriers, ELS, ALS, FLS, Phonics.
  • ELKLAN training.

What arrangements are made for reasonable adjustments in the curriculum and support to the pupil during exams?

  • Access arrangements – which includes Readers, Scribes, extra time, small classroom for anxious students/behaviour students
  • Coloured overlays for pupils with dyslexic tendencies
  • Teachers informed of all pupils’ reading ages
  • Teachers informed of all pupils having special needs

How do you share educational progress and outcomes with parents?

  • Parents Evenings-twice a year.
  • Play Plans/Individual Education Plans evaluated – sent home 3 times yearly.
  • School reports – once yearly.
  • Meetings with parents.
  • Review of statements.
  • Review of Play Plans/IEPs.
  • TAC meetings.
  • CAF meetings.

What external teaching and learning do you offer?

  • We encourage gifted and talented pupils to attend extra classes provided in the local area.
  • 2 days a week additional teacher to provide a booster session in writing for SEN, PP and more able pupils in KS2.

What arrangements are in place to ensure that support is maintained in “off site provision”?

No pupils access offsite provision.

What work experience opportunities do you offer?


Annual Reviews

What arrangements are in place for review meetings for children with Statements or Education, Health and Care (EHC) Plans?

  • Invites to all parties involved
  • Review meeting held at a convenient location
  • Review meeting held at a convenient time for parents who work/have commitments during the day
  • Translator provided if needed
  • Consultation with staff prior to the meeting-written reports from class teacher and TA involved-copies provided to all parties involved.
  • Making parents aware of parent partnership support and bringing them together.

What arrangements are in place for children with other SEN support needs?

  • SENCO and Teacher support .
  • TA support inside and outside the classroom.
  • Intervention groups for catch up literacy and numeracy skills.
  • SEAL coordinator provides “Time to Talk” sessions each week.
  • SEAL coordinator runs programmes such as Managing my Emotions.
  • SALT assessments and recommendations.
  • Inclusive Learning Service observations and recommendations.
  • Educational Psychologist for assessments and strategies.
  • TA takes Speech and Language groups-Socially speaking games.
  • TA takes groups to work on Memory Skill games.
  • Playground support for social skills.

Keeping Children Safe

What handover arrangements will be made at the start and end of the school day? Do you have parking areas for pick up and drop offs?

Staff are available on the playground before and after school.

What support is offered during breaks and lunchtimes?

Breaks and lunchtimes staff support all pupils and TAs support pupils with SEN statements.

Breakfast club and after school activity clubs available.

How do you ensure pupils stay safe outside the classroom? (e.g. during PE lessons and school trips)

Risk assessments are undertaken for all school trips and pupils with a statement of SEN attend trips with a 1:1 TA.

PE lessons are always supervised.

What are the school arrangements for undertaking risk assessments?

All in line with Salford LA

Where can parents find details of policies on bullying?

Policies can be found on the school Website, however if they ring school and request one school will send out a hard copy or email them a copy.


Health (including Emotional Health and Wellbeing)

What is the school’s policy on administering medication?

School has a policy on medication administration, ratified and agreed by governors.

How do you work with the family to draw up a care plan and ensure that all relevant staff are aware of the plan

A meeting is held with the parent/carer, SENco, school nurse and any other professional who is involved with the pupil.
The Care plan is then shared with all staff in briefing and monitored by the SENco every half term or sooner if needed, parents are consulted should there be any adjustments made to the plan.
Equally, parents can come into school and meet with the SENco if they feel the plan needs to be amended.

What would the school do in the case of a medical emergency

  • Call 999
  • We have trained first aiders within our school.
  • Contact parent/carer, collect them or assist them in an ambulance.
  • In absence of parent/carer the head teacher would accompany the pupil to the hospital.
  • If language is an issue the member of staff would stay at the hospital and explain to the medical staff what had happened, if possible a translator would be brought in.

How do you ensure that staff are trained/qualified to deal with a child’s particular needs?

  • All staff are trained every 3 years on Safeguarding/Child protection
  • Relevant staff undertake external courses provided by the LA and private companies.
  • Epi pen training has been delivered in school.
  • SENCO and Head Teacher trained on CAF completion and other relevant documents, i.e. RIATs, EWO referrals, etc.
  • Training by outside professionals for ASD, ADHD, EAL, etc.


Which health or therapy services can children access on school premises?

  • School nurse comes to school to carry out medical screenings and to give talks to the children.
  • SALT visits each half term to review pupils on SALT.

Communication with Parents

How do you ensure that parents know “who’s who” and who they can contact if they have concerns about their child/young person?

  • Information is distributed at parents’ evenings.
  • Home visits are made before the pupil attends nursery.
  • Information is also available on the school website
  • SENCo is very approachable and available to all parents who need to speak to her regularly and parents are told that they are welcome to ring regarding any concerns they may have.

Do parents have to make an appointment to meet with staff or do you have an Open Door policy?

Open door policy to speak to a member of staff but an appointment will be made if they request to speak to a teacher, due to their teaching commitment. All parents are dealt with as swiftly as possible; usually on the day of initial contact or at the latest, the day after.

 How do you keep parents updated with their child/young person’s progress?

  • Parents evenings
  • School reports
  • Progress checks sent home.
  • Rewards-weekly star pupil.
  • In class workshops for parents.

Do you offer Open Days?

Parents can make an appointment to tour the school.

How can parents give feedback to the school?

  • Via the Website
  • Parent evenings
  • Via questionnaires
  • Parental meetings
  • Telephone calls, after parental meetings (SEN)
  • Arrange to see staff at a mutually convenient time.


Working Together

Do you have home/school contracts?


What opportunities do you offer for pupils to have their say? e.g. school council

  •  Student Council- one meeting per term
  • Pupil questionnaires
  • Listen to them on an informal basis when they come to Time to Talk.

What opportunities are there for parents to have their say about their son/daughter’s education?

  • Parents Evenings
  • OFSTED Parent View
  • SEN meetings
  • Review meetings
  • Open door policy
  • Arranging a meeting with teachers/headteacher.
  • Questionnaires

What opportunities are there for parents to get involved in the school or become school governors?

  •  Join the school’s PTA team.
  • To volunteer to assist in school.

How does the Governing Body involve other agencies in meeting the needs of pupils with SEN and supporting their families? (e.g. health, social care, voluntary groups)

SEN Governor meets with SENCO and attends SEN training and meetings within the local authority


What Help and Support is available for the Family?

Do you offer help with completing forms and paperwork? If yes, who normally provides this help and how would parents access this?

Yes, SENco would arrange to meet with them and help them complete all the necessary paper work.

Parents are offered this service at a parental meeting or by phone.

Close links with Parent Partnership who also support our parents with completion of forms.

What information, advice and guidance can parents and young people access through the school?   Who normally provides this help and how would they access this?

SENco or Headteacher would provide the information and arrange for meetings.

How does the school help parents with travel plans to get their son/daughter to and from school ?

Via Parent Partnership.

Transition from Primary School and School Leavers

What support does the school offer for year 6 pupils coming to the school? (e.g. visits to the school, buddying)

Visits to the school.

What support is offered for young people leaving the school? (e.g. careers guidance, visits to colleges, apprenticeships, supported employment etc)

Taster days to allow year 6 pupils to visit days to their preferred high school and allow extra visit days for SEN pupils.

What advice/support do you offer young people and their parents about preparing for adulthood?

  • Constant reminders about the importance of good attendance and punctuality, good literacy and numeracy, good behaviour and attitude for the world of work and to be happy in personal life.
  • Provide good role models of behaviour to pupils by the way staff treat each other and the pupils.
  • Preparing them for life in modern Britain.


Extra Curricular Activities

Do you offer school holiday and/or before and after school provision?  If yes, please give details.

Before school – breakfast club in the hall.

After school – Clubs differ on different nights: football, netball, choir, art, gymnastics, guitar and numeracy.

What lunchtime or after school activities do you offer? Do parents have to pay for these and if so, how much?

Lunch time clubs include: ICT, drama, newspaper-writing club and outside games.

How do you make sure clubs, activities and residential trips are inclusive?

Risk assessments are carried out, parents are consulted and parents are offered a place to accompany their child if needed. 1:1 support or small group support for pupils.

How do you help children and young people to make friends?

  • Interventions such as Circle of friends and socially speaking games are used.
  • Friendship and Bullying are topics addressed every year in SEAL lessons.
  • Guardian Angels are trained to deal with fall outs on the playground and are on duty every playtime.
  • Playground leaders are trained to play games and involve everyone so no one is left out.
  • Themed weeks eg Anti-bullying week, E-Safety week.